Friday, November 21, 2008

Step 3-Invitations!

I couldn't think of any sort of clever title for this entry, so there it is: Invitations! You get the point though, right?

The gang at the Sierra Club has this to say:

Your invitation is the first impression guests will get of your green wedding. Look for:

~recycled, handmade, or plantable papers processed chlorine-free and printed with vegetable- or soy-based inks

I love love love! Paper, and cards, and invitations, and truly cannot WAIT for this part of the process. I am making my own cards on my HP printer with Printing Press Platinum. I bought it off of the mountain cow site. www.mountaincow.com And PS, I think that this is a great site. I am planning to do EVERYTHING with this software: Invites, Menus, Programs, you name it... I am not sure if I can do soy ink in my HP, but I am definitely using recycled materials...I will post pictures as soon as they are done! :-)

I found a few sites that you can purchase recycled card stock: I think that I might be using a store called On Paper in Columbus, OH. www.onpaper.com They seem to have the colors and shapes that I am looking for.

Depending on how creative you are, you can make your invites without a computer. (Actually by hand, you know?)

you can also try:

~tree-free paper made out of hemp, banana stalks, bamboo, kenaf, or organic cotton

~a printer who will use paper with a high percentage of post-consumer recycled content

There are a LOT of printers out there who will do this now. Even if they don't advertise, feel free to check with the popular local companies to see if they have an eco-friendly line...you'd be surprised what is out there these days!

Don't believe me? Here is an entry from one of my favorite blogs: eco-chic weddings, by Emily Anderson This post is from 2007, but the blog is great, links are still helpful.

And keep this in mind:

~papers that aren't metallic or plastic-coated, characteristics that make them hard to recycle

~opportunities to reduce paper use, like sending a postcard (instead of multi-enveloped notes) for your save-the-date, or using online invitations and a wedding blog to let people know about the bachelor/ette parties, rehearsal dinner, and gift registry

~In your invitations, let guests know about the ecofriendly hotel and transportation options in your area, whether it's hybrid rental cars or directions to the ceremony on public transportation. And don't forget to pick up some extra green paper products for your guest book, place cards, and thank-you notes.


...and for the invites for your post wedding luau. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. We made our own invitations (by hand, seriously my living room was a paper sweat shop!). My husband is a graphic designer so his talents proved useful. This saved on product waste, money(we saved over $900!!!) and were able to get exactly what we wanted. I am still getting emails and comments form people complimenting us on our unique invitations! It simply requires a bit of time, research and creativity. I feel this is the time in the process where you as a couple get to show who you are and set the tone for the entire event. Good for you nancy for encouraging and living this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Thanks for the comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete