Monday, November 24, 2008

Step 5-What to wear? (Oh, and I am going to be on TV...read on.)

Of course this is a big one, and as I mentioned before...I have not always been a fan of the "wedding dress." (See Left) It is hard for me to get this type of image out of my head, for some reason...and the idea of this girl busting a move to Sir Mix-a-lot wearing this ridiculous dress is just hard for me to swallow. (Sorry girl if you are out there, and if you busted said move-good for you! I am sure that you looked awesome...ehem.) But let's be serious, I am planning to be a DANCING FOOL at my wedding; as in: "Can't Touch This, Summer Lovin', Margaritaville, I will Survive...BRING IT! And I do not not NOT want to look like the long lost twin sister of my wedding cake! And I also, don't want to be wasteful. Let's face it, this is a big expense, and a lot of waste for something that you only wear once. So what to do? There are actually quite a few things you can do:


~go vintage (and update your look as necessary with tailoring and modern shoes and accessories)
Wear your Mom's dress, or one of your aunt's dresses. Or look in cool vintage shops for a super cool, one of a kind number. (PS, this option is also going to be much less expensive, so you can really go nuts with your accessories!)

~pick clothes made from hemp, bamboo, and organic cotton or silk--or find a dressmaker who will make a one-of-a-kind item out of these sustainable fabric (men's suits and shirts come in organic cotton or wool too)

Ok, so the words "hemp and bamboo" sort of scare me here...not in other contexts so much, but here...eeeehhhhhh, I get a little nervous, but check this out:

Have you heard of Kleinfelds? It is like the premiere place in NYC to buy a wedding dress, and they just launched a new line of dresses that are eco-friendly!!! It is called The Cotton Bride by Chris Kole. And guess what? I am going to be trying these dresses on in an episode of Say Yes To The Dress on TLC. We are filming next week, and I promise an expose post with all of the shenanigans that ensue!

So I am hopeful that I will find an eco-friendly dress here, that is simple and elegant, and that isn't strapless. (Why is that such a big look these days? What is the deal with brides and shoulders? And where are my fellow "Chesty LaRues?" Can we please unite about this? Someone give me a strap for the love of PETE!) Oh, and...BTW, I am thinking to get a super simple short dress to shake my booty in at the ceremony...don't tell Jimmy. ;-)


In the event that I don't find one...I could:

~borrow an elegant gown from a stylish friend

~buy something you'll wear again and let your bridesmaids do the same.

I am hoping that this will happen with the maids...we are going for Anne Taylor Celebrations, and the dresses seem to be super wearable, and aren't SOOOO dressy that you couldn't wear them to another wedding. Or we could go with the Chamelion Dress. Never heard of it? Click Here. Also-I am thinking to wear my short dress to all three of my celebrations (Wedding, Wedding Brunch, and Post Wedding Luau) and then, I might dye it and wear it again...we shall see...

By the way, this is a great site to find ways to be charitable during this process...take a few minutes and browse, for sure. For Bridesmaids, I love this one foundation called The Glass Slipper Project, you can donate dresses, and they go to young women for their proms, sweet 16's and Quinceaneros. Sadly, they are only in Chicago. That said they have a page on their site for out of state donations (link above), and it lists other foundations that do this...there should be one near you.
~accessorize with a unique recycled purse and/or jewelry
~use vegetable dyes on your shoes (or go barefoot for a beach wedding)
~accentuate natural beauty with all-natural makeup
~donate the dress to charity after the event

I love this idea, PS. There are some great charities out there to help Brides, and other young women who need a dress for a formal event...some favorites:

Brides Againts Breast Cancer

The I Do Foundation-


You know, I am surprised, but they don't mention rentals here, or ebay (buying used)...I was looking into renting, and found this article from NY Weddings 2005. It has a few options, and from what I can see, they are all still around. Not from NYC? I am sure that there are places near you that do it..give it a google, and see what comes up. I

I already bought my shoes on ebay, and they are deeeelightful. (And they were only 20 bucks.) I wasn't going to show you, but I am too proud of my idea...guess what? They are my "Something Blue!" I can't stand it!!!


That's right...20 BUCKS!!!

And, hey, let's just say that you want to buy a lavish extravegant Cinderella dress, and don't want to give it away when you are done, and don't want to waste one second feeling guilty!! ...my girlfriends and I have all agreed that after my wedding, we are having a fabulous cocktail party where we all wear "the dress"for one evening...and feel gorgeous all over again. Heck, let's do it once a year! I am pretty sure that that counts as recycling. Pictures to follow.










2 comments:

  1. I love it! Love teh something blue shoe. You so rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it! (PS. The shoes are so hot in person!)

    ReplyDelete