Friday, November 21, 2008

Step 2: Oh, the places you'll go! (and how you'll get there...)

So the Sierra Club says that the next thing to do when going green is to think about your:

location:
Location:
LOCATION!!!!:

Your choice of venue sets the tone for your wedding day--and accounts for a big chunk of the money you'll be laying out. Spend it wisely! Consider:


~choosing a setting that's convenient to the most guests to minimize travel impacts

This we are sort of doing...about 50% of the guests are local.

~having the ceremony and the reception at the same place, or providing eco-friendly transportation between them

Ding Ding Ding! Except for some possibly very old guests...we are WALKING from the church to the reception! (I would say Check here...walking is a green as it gets!)

~picking a unique local spot--like an art gallery, nonprofit space, organic restaurant or farm, green hotel, botanical garden, or green-roofed building--that supports a cause you believe in.

We are having the reception at an old social club in Brooklyn called "The Montauk Club." www.montaukclub.com



I am not sure if it is an eco-friendly site, but I am looking into ways that we can repurpose most of our waste (more on that later). The cause that it is supporting for now is my love of the fact that it looks like Hogwarts, where Harry Potter went to school. Does that count?


~an outdoor setting that will infuse the whole event with a natural sensibility (and require less decorating too!)

~arriving at the ceremony in a horse-drawn carriage, cycle rickshaw, or hybrid car

ok, so we are also doing the cycle rickshaw for the wedding party (for the girls to the ceremony, and for everyone to the spot for photos, and back to the reception.) I was hoping to wow everyone here with this idea, but it seems that it has been done before. sigh...this will not be keeping me down, however, RICKSHAW!!!! CHECK!


This is me, gazing at Jimmy as he pedals a rickshaw cycle...I love to gaze at him...

offsetting your guests' travel (or asking them to do it as your wedding gift)

Sadly, I will not be asking for guests to do this as my gift. The idea of the donation gift is awesome, but here is the skinny: I need the gifts. We are not rich, and the wedding is not cheap. So bring on the gifts, yo! I am sure that mother earth will understand that I am doing a bunch of other things, won't she?



Mother Earth? E-hem...Mother? Mom? (She looks busy...I'll check back later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment