Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cool Shower Idea! (Cut the Paper Please!)

Hello Me Heartys! (I set my facebook page to pirate yesterday (which was fun for 10 minutes), and I can't stop with the lingo!)

Just thought that I would take a sec to pass along a super cool idea that me sisters-in-law to be did for my shower. They threw me a "Display Shower." Now perhaps you have all heard of this, but I have...ehem...not.

For those of you who, like me, had not heard of one: A Display Shower is a shower where the guests bring their gifts UNWRAPPED and put them out on a table for the duration of the party with a card attached, so you know who it is from. Why do I LOVE this idea? Let me count the ways:

1. We don't waste paper, time, or MONEY on silly wrapping that will be thrown away in two seconds.

2. I don't have to sit in front of 50 people sweating while I open gifts, and worry that they are bored out of their minds, and just want me to open their gift so we can get on with it.

3. I get to spend more time chatting with the folks who came out to celebrate with me on this special day.

4. Everyone can peruse the gift table to see who gave me what, instead of craning their necks, and yelling, "Who is that from?" "What is it?"

5. We don't waste paper, time or MONEY on silly wrapping that will be thrown away in two seconds.

This one was such a no brainer! And everyone came up to me thanking ME for the idea that saved them all time and money! I gave credit to my girls, of course!

Also-they added to the green theme by giving reusable shopping bags as the favor, and by buying recycled thank you cards for me to give everyone! (Check out this cool idea: They had everyone fill out their name and address on an envelope to be entered in a door prize! Someone won a lovely hanging plant, and I got a stack of addressed envelopes! File this under, LOVE IT!)

Oh, and side note: there are sooo many ways to have an eco friendly shower...or to celebrate ANYTHING in an eco friendly way...check out The Green Party Starring Danielle Venokur of dvGreen Events. She is a sustainable event planner here in the city, and she isn't afraid to share some tools of the trade with you. Plus she is really relate-able (not Martha Stewart-ish at all!) and the web show is fun to watch.) Also-check out planet green today for some tips on eco-friendly entertaining...I just love them!

I am totally stealing the "no wrapping paper" idea for the rest of my gift giving during the event. (and possibly for the rest of my life) I am "wrapping" the few things that need to be wrapped in reusable shopping bags (you can find super cute ones for very cheap) everything else we are going to present on a lovely table for all to see! Good for the planet, and good for my wallet. Now that is what I call an eco-win win!

2 comments:

  1. Nancy - This site is a real winner and I love getting tips or just dreaming about all the things I could buy or create. Thanks! - Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than welcome Lucy!

    ReplyDelete