Thursday, December 11, 2008

Step 8. Picture Perfect...

So back to our list of ways to "green up your celebration," ways to "get your green on," ways to "make everyone pay attention only to you because you are the queen of the universe..." Ok, not so much the last one, although I am fine with that, if it does happen...

So, our friends at the Sierra Club have this to say about your wedding pictures:

Whether you prefer film or digital photographs, look for a photographer who will do digital proofs to save paper and chemicals. Avoid single-use cameras, but ask friends with digi-cams to share their photos with all the guests online in a free Flickr group or Snapfish group room you set up for your wedding.

Ok...I am sooooooo fine with this. We are going digital because it is cheaper, and we were more interested in finding the right photographer for us, than in getting a bunch of prints that we don't even like. (note: Many photographers have online galleries where you and your guests can purchase prints. And, if they do, and you can afford it, order through them. Snapfish is a cool idea, but it feels a bit sneaky to me to go this route if your photographer offers to print for you. Or at the very least, ask them if they are ok with it.) And yes Yes YES! to having friends bring the digitals! Nothing better than checking out your awesome wedding on someone else's facebook profile two days after the event! (I will of course be toting my "mino flip" to get snippets of the day from my P.O.V. (and sharing with you...my avid readers.) Super fun!


PS. Speaking of finding the right photographer for us...did we EVER!!! Her name is Kelly Guenther, and she has won...wait for it, wait for it...a PULITZER! (So, she is pretty much a genius.) The main reason that we went with her, in addition to her laid back style (And her amazing carriage house apartment in Brooklyn Heights), is that she takes the most amazing photo journalistic photos!!!!



I was deathly afraid of the "gazing" photos. (Pictured here) Listen, If this "just happened," then that is totally cool, but if they stood there for 10 minutes taking pictures while trying to emote "love" for each other....my stomach hurts just thinking about it. Much to my surprise and delight, we found Kelly right off the bat. (I think that we booked her before the hall! lol) She had worked with a few brides that I knew, and I loved their photos. (She is also reasonably priced for the NYC area.) So we are phyched all around...




Ok, so the message here? Don't print anything unless you know that you want it! That shouldn't be too difficult, right? Check.

3 comments:

  1. i am using kelly too!!!!!!!!! so excited. i was so happy to see her name mentioned after all these nauseating wedding blogs and photographers that all end up taking the same pictures. can we also talk about the wedding dress shot, the shoe shot, and the ring shot....honestly...does anyone ever get those printed and framed? just wanted to share my excitement. i hope you post some pics so i can see the treat i'm in for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL the SHOE SHOT! I will definitely post some pics when I get them! Kelly lovers unite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. that comment was me, I didn't realize that I was logged onto my work account!

    ReplyDelete